This tangy orange cream cheese icing recipe goes very well with our chocolate cup cake recipe. I have to confess that chocolate and orange is one of my favourite combinations, but this topping is also great finishing off a carrot cake.
The following ingredients will generously top 12 cup cakes easily.
- 200g soft cream cheese
- 50g margarine/butter
- 200g confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons orange flavoured liquor or orange extract.
(This can be substituted for the juice of half an orange, but you may need to add flour to thicken the topping to the desired consistency.)
- Place the cream cheese and butter into a bowl and with an electric mixer, beat them together until they are soft, well mixed and creamy.
- Add the orange zest and extract (or orange juice and flour) and continue to mix together well.
- Slowly add the confectioners sugar with the mixer on a slow setting and mix well. Continue to mix on high until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- If needed, refrigerate the topping for half an hour to firm up. Spoon the topping onto the cakes, or pipe on using an icing bag in patterns as desired.
Recipe books with great ideas for cupcakes
If you want some great cupcake recipe ideas, we suggest the following books. They are available in paperback, hardback or on Kindle devices depending on which book you prefer!
- 200 Cupcakes: Hamlyn All Colour Cook Book by Joanna Farrow
- Bake Me I’m Yours Cupcake: Over 100 Excuses To Indulge by Joan Belgrove
- My Kitchen Table: 100 Cakes and Bakes by Mary Berry
- The Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes & Muffins by Tarek Malouf
Useful tools for baking cupcakes
You’re going to need some items when making cupcakes and these three items are essential buys!